Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Flaw of Fred and George


I am very fortunate to have two amazing people in my life.  They are the most beautiful, talented, understanding, intelligent, and enthusiastic individuals that I have ever met.  They are wonderful.  They are my sisters.  And they are identical twins.

Yes, my little sisters, Molly and Megan, share all of those wonderful personality traits.  In so many ways they are like Fred and George:  people love them for their sense of humor, their unique approach to problem solving, and their dedication to those they care about.  But here is where the comparison ends.  Because Molly and Megan are more than just charming and funny twins– they are individuals.

This has always been the problem with Fred and George.  They are interchangeable.  While they are universally loved, they are not fully developed, separate characters.  Don’t get me wrong, I love Fred and George, but it really bothers me that they are so one dimensional.  It’s like their entire character is that they are twins and that they are funny.  And yes, I said “character” instead of “characters” on purpose because they are essentially the same character.  They often complete each other’s sentences– something that people love about twins and expect from twins for some reason.  I think it’s cute too when they say things at the same time, but it also contributes to the idiotic stereotype that twins “share brainwaves” and are actually “the same person.”

Lots of people will tell you that they have a favorite Weasley twin, but I’m sure that none of them can give you a valid reason.  Usually, it’s Fred and their reasoning behind it is because he’s dead.  That’s just stupid to me.  And whenever I point out that it’s stupid, people are always like, “Oh no, I’ve just always liked Fred more…he talks more…there’s something about him…”  And of course, none of that makes any sense.  Fred and George have an equal amount of lines.  Usually after one speaks the other chimes in right afterwards.  J.K. Rowling obviously did this on purpose because she wanted them to be equally loved…which is annoying.  The Fred Weasley page on the Harry Potter wiki claims, “Fred Weasley was the more outgoing, daring, and sarcastic of the twins” and provides a few examples, but they are such slight differences that I hardly think they are significant.  It seems like the person (or people) who wrote this page probably just didn't want it to seem like they were the same character because they’re one of those really defensive HP fans who freaks out whenever someone tries to have a debate about something and bursts out into a “LEAVE J.K. ALONE!” kind of rant.

Another annoying thing about Fred’s death is that it seems to me that she only killed Fred because he had a twin.  Because she knew there would still be one left over once he had died– so that character, in a way, would still live on.  She even goes so far as to say that George eventually marries Angelina Johnson…with whom FRED attended the Yule Ball.  THAT is maddeningly infuriating to me and actually makes me a little sick.  Rowling probably thought it was cute when she decided that, but I think it’s a cruel and miserable situation for both George and Angelina.  Considering they attended the Yule Ball together, I assume that Fred and Angelina had a somewhat romantic relationship.  And if that was indeed the case, then it is extremely inappropriate for Angelina to even think about dating George.  Like, did she think, “Oh well, Fred is gone, but at least I still have George as a backup!  Good replacement since they’re the same exact person.”? That’s not okay at all.  Even if they did both sincerely love each other, I think there would still be doubt in George’s mind all the time, wondering if she was only with him to stay close to Fred.  So while I’m mad at J.K. Rowling for killing Fred, I’m angrier at her for what she did to George.  I think she saw Fred as the safest Weasley to kill.  If you think of it from George’s perspective, losing Fred is the worst possible thing that could happen to him.  But George isn’t our main character, he isn’t even our main Weasley character, so we don’t get that kind of insight into the true horror that comes with Fred’s death.  Instead there’s just this awful, guilty acknowledgement that I’m sure every single person thought while they were reading, “Well, at least we still have George…”

And that shouldn’t be what we think when a character dies!  We should be thinking how awful it is because that character had so many unique qualities that contributed so much to the lives of the characters around them.  When Dobby died, we were devastated because Dobby had always tried to save Harry in his own eccentric way, wearing tea cozies and mismatching socks.  When Dumbledore died, we were devastated because he was the greatest sorcerer of the age and probably the most prominent father figure to Harry.  To me, the most upsetting thing about Fred’s death isn’t that we lost such a unique and amazing character, (because honestly he still existed in George) but rather that George lost his twin brother, a bond and closeness that most of us will never fully understand or experience.

 I understand why Fred and George are presented the way they are.  That image of twins is an image that most people find alluring.  It’s an image they can understand.  That’s okay, I guess, because Harry Potter isn’t a story about the hardships of being a twin and the importance of recognizing the differences between twins.  But it still bothers me because I’ve seen my sisters get grouped together every single day of their lives; being called the wrong names by their friends, having their achievements or failures combined for no reason at all.  Because I’ve witnessed this first hand and seen how much it bothers my sisters, I hated every single time someone messed up Fred and George in the books.  And I hated even more that they never resented it.  They were just okay with being the same person.

J.K. Rowling tries to makes up for Fred and George’s similarities in her characterization of Parvati and Padma Patil.  In fact, I think that Padma’s whole existence in the books might be so that J.K. Rowling could feel okay about the way she portrayed Fred and George.  This way, every time someone brings up this argument she can be like, “Oh no, I completely understand how twins can be different.  See how I put Parvati and Padma in separate Houses?”  That is kind of a good argument too…except that we never really see enough of Padma to know that she really is any different than Parvati.  They’re in different Houses, but that doesn’t mean that they aren’t just as similar as Fred and George in personality.  It’s possible that Padma is just as silly and gossip obsessed as Parvati.  Trust me, I know plenty of clever people who love to gossip…how do you think they get all of their information?  My roommate and I are almost exactly alike in personality, but Pottermore sorted me into Slytherin and her into Gryffindor.  I probably sound like a broken record by now, but Houses are stupid.  They don’t define who you are or really even what your values are, which is annoying because that is their whole purpose and they fail at it.  Hermione is clever, but she’s in Gryffindor, not Ravenclaw.  So putting Parvati and Padma in Gryffindor and Ravenclaw respectively proves nothing about them as twins.

I’m starting to rant now, but I can’t stress my irritation with this enough.  Twins are separate human beings and it really just frustrates me how uncannily similar Fred and George are.  When I read the Harry Potter wiki pages about them, I really want to believe that the few examples they give of their differences in personality are relevant…but I just don’t think they are.  They’re so very subtle that I’m not sure I really buy it.  Anyway, what do you think?  Do Fred and George come off as the same to you?  Do they differ in personality just enough that you think it’s believable?  Give me some examples!  Preferably not the ones from the Fred and George wiki pages…I’ve seen those and I’m not convinced.

No comments:

Post a Comment